Cole Noble, Indianapolis Homes for Sale

The Cole-Noble Commerical Arts District is located on the near east side between Washington and Miami Streets. The district is a mix of condominiums, apartments and small businesses, sprinkled with landmarks like Easley Winery, Harrison College, and The Nature Conservancy. The community is named for industrialist Joseph Cole and (Governor) Noah Noble. Half of the neighborhood lies within the boundaries of the original "Mile Square."

Never miss a new listing in Cole Noble!

Latest Cole Noble, Indianapolis Homes for Sale

355 E Ohio Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202

355 E Ohio Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202

Penthouse living in Downtown Indy at The Hudson! This multi-level 2 bed, 2.5 bath luxury condo offers a flexible layout with stunning finishes! Hrdwds throughout! NE...

2 Beds 3 Bath Areas 1659 SqFt

$599,900

F.C. Tucker Company
355 E Ohio Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204

355 E Ohio Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204

This condo is a breath of FRESH air in the heart of downtown. The serene finishes perfectly fit this 2bdrm/2bth 1st floor unit. The classic floors and calming colors...

2 Beds 2 Bath Areas 1255 SqFt

$400,000

Luxcity Realty

Return to "Homes for Sale in Indianapolis Historic Districts"

History

Joseph Cole established the Cole Carriage Company in 1905 to produce horse-drawn carriages. In 1908, he built an experimental motor buggy that used many carriage components. Thus was born The Cole Motor Car Company. In 1919, sales of Cole luxury cars were surpassed only by Cadillac, but within two years, the company had encountered hard times. Confronted with a decision to either mass-produce cars or go out of business, Cole decided to close the factory. The last Cole rolled off the line in 1924 and Cole, himself, died a year later.

Noah Noble was the fifth Governor of Indiana, serving from 1831 to 1837. Noble had amassed over 800 acres of land in the area by the time he died in 1844, leaving his family land-rich, but cash poor. They also inhrerited a considerable amount of his debt. Several years of family infighting amd legal wrangling ensued over how to best settle the estate.

Finally, in 1850, the Indiana General Assembly passed the "Act for the relief of the estate of Noah Noble, deceased." This act allowed for the area around Easley Winery to be subdivided and sold with the proceeds settling the estate's debts, and anything left over going to the Governor's children. The Act also created an alley running between Ohio and Market Streets, adjacent to the Indianapolis and Peru Railroad tracks.

The area around Easley Winery (south of Lockerbie Square) was settled by German immigrants, and became known as "German Town." The homes along present day Miami Street were in a notorious red light district between Park Ave and East Street.

Today, the District is known for a mix of Georgian, Federal, and Art Deco architecture. From 1974 to 2001, Market Square Arena was located here. The Arena served as home to the Indiana Pacers basketball team for 25 years before being demolished in 2001. It's also known as the site of Elvis Presley's last concert in 1977.

Since 2003, a number of residential developments have been built in the neighborhood. The boon of townhouses, condos, and apartments helped revitalize the neighborhood. Popular communities include the Hudson, Clevelander, Packard, DeSoto, and Maxwell.

References: